Here is some unorganized babbling about nature, school, food, etc.:
Nature: The longer I am in Sweden, the more I appreciate the beautiful and vast natural areas. Sweden is one of the largest countries in Europe, yet the country only has a population of nine million people. I live in the south of Sweden, where the majority of the population lives, but even so, between cities or towns there are open areas and stretches of forest. I currently live in a small village, which is a fifteen minute bus ride to the city of Ulricehamn. It is a combination of wooded areas and hilly meadows, surrounded by a thick, hilly forest all they way around. I live on the edge of a hill on a few acres. Lakes and ponds of varying sizes also dot the landscape. Last Sunday was one of the rare days that it was sunny in the morning and I had a spare moment. I got out of bed and went for a walk. I walked on the small road past cows grazing, past red wooden homes built on the hilly terrain, and past my bus stop. I turned right onto a gravel road and went past the fotboll fields where people in the village enjoy playing, past the swimming hole onto a well-groomed trail that can be used to run and ski on. It is about four kilometers, I believe. It was quite peaceful and calm. The air was clear, a bit crisp and about 60 degrees. Everything in Sweden is very green because of all the rain, but it smelled a bit of drying foliage. This trail and swimming area are probably my favorite aspect of my village. I am sure I will be back. I have realized that sometimes something as simple as a walk in the woods next to a meadow with grazing cows and a small stream rippling past makes me the happiest.
Here are some pictures: 1)My neighbors 2)My bus stop 3)The Swim hole 4)The trail
School:
I am still adjusting to school, and comparing it to my experience at high school. The biggest impression I have so far is the increase in freedom that students have here. People walk in late without much notice. It is up to the students to attend classes and get good marks. The classes seem more lecture and discussion based. Teachers don’t give out note sheets or worksheets. It is up to students to take notes or download the notes online. There seems to be much less emphasis on grades. It is refreshing to see students treated more like adults or university students. I appreciate that each student is entitled to a free lunch which is covered by taxes. The food is prepared in the kitchen at school and is much healthier than the lunches in the States
Food:
The quality of food in Sweden seems higher than food in the US. It is a bit more expensive. The grocery stores seem to carry more local produce and fewer vegetables and fruits that are not in season. In the States, candy is readily available, but here in Sweden there is an entire bulk candy aisle, as well as several more aisles of packaged candies and chocolates. The candies are much better quality than products like Hershey’s. It is difficult to restrain myself. I hate to say this, but I have started to enjoy black licorice, even the salty variety. Before I arrived in Sweden, I didn’t anticipate that people here would enjoy candy so much. Other exchange students have remarked on the large selection of candy as well.
My host mom is a great cook, and usually doesn’t use recipes. Some of my favorite meals have been foods like stews, meat served red currant jelly or lingonberry preserves, boiled potatoes with gravy or other sauces, and salmon. The foods don’t have a lot of exotic spices but they are delicious and very satisfying. My host mom’s father picks wild berries, so we have had some delicious blueberry cobbler desserts. We of course had to have it with ice cream. My host father doesn’t like ice cream all that much so we also had it with a sweetened cream sauce that you can buy in the store and you mix with beaters to add a little air, but it isn't as puffy as whipped cream.
My host dad showing his approval:
At my gymnasium, people dress up more. The Swedes seem to be much more fashionable than the majority of the people in Minnesota and at my high school. It is quite obvious that I am not a particularly fashionable person, but I no longer feel comfortable wearing sweatshirts or t-shirts to school. The favorite outfits here seem to be skinny jeans, leggings, converse shoes, and short, shirt-like dresses, sweaters, and cardigans.
Martha!
ReplyDeleteEverything sounds like it is going well. I am so happy for you. I cannot wait to see a postcard from you in my mail box. Just for you will I climb over 50 stairs and walk several yards to Coates to retrieve a postcard on a day I don't have class. It is so beautiful there. I love it. Continue having a good time. =] miss you!
Love,
Jennifer
P.S. thank you for including fashion as part of your post. You know hoe much I enjoy that. =]
martha i love your blog! it's so interesting, and full of fun little details. i swear, i thought you had made a mistake when you posted the picture with cows as "my neighbors," i was looking for a few minutes thinking "oh no, she put up a picture of cows instead!" before i realized that the cows ARE your neighbors, and started laughing at myself. that was pretty clever of you :] also, the trail looks BEAUTIFUL, i am super jealous cause there is no nature where i live :[ you'll have to make a video of yourself walking down the trail so i can live vicariously through you. everything sounds wonderful, i wish there were some way i could live in italy and also in sweden! the candy, the fashion, the nature, the calm...i love it! keep enjoying and embracing everything, and let's skype soon!
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with the fashion thing! I feel the same way here in Denmark, and I miss being able to wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt to school. Your Swedish life sounds great! Keep having fun :)
ReplyDelete