I moved to my second host family on Monday. With all the switching, it was a bit stressful. Lucikly, I had met the family earlier and stayed overnight twice. I am very happy. The first few days felt strange and I had a mixture of emotions as I was trying to get used to a new environment. I now feel like I am beginning to figure out my place and I feel content. It will be a good three months.
-I live in a beautiful yellow house. I will have to take pictures shortly. My host mother clearly has a vision. The home is filled with white candles and plants with white blooms.
-My host mom decided that since I enjoy baking, we will have baking day every Tuesday.
-Every Wednesday, I am offically signed up for African dance class with my host mom from seven to eight pm. I will let you know how that goes.
-I have an eleven year old host sister and a fourteen year old host brother. It has been interesting to have younger host siblings. Soon, I will visit my host sister's Montessori school (A beautiful brick school a few houses away from where I live) and talk a bit with the students.
-School is going well. I have fewer gaps in my schedule. The administration doesn't know what to do with me, but I am figuring out how to make the most of my experience. My Swedish teacher decided to assign chapter books, and I have been surprised at my comprehension. I have checked out additional ones because I find I learn many more words and get exposed to more examples of Swedish grammar. Right now I am reading an abridged edition of Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte in Swedish. I have the full English version, and when I have time, I will read that.
-I feel I am exposed to more Swedish both at school and within my host family now.The other day, a guest came into our musikal rehearsal. We had to introduce ourselves. After introducing myself, my Swedish classmates were surprised how far I have come. That was encouraging. At times I feel I should be better at Swedish by this point, but other times I feel surprised by how much I have learned in less than six months.
-I just returned from my host sister's handboll tournment. I wish I could have done handboll as a child. It is a fun sport to watch and quite big in Sweden.
-I have an exciting couple of months. In two weeks, twenty-six exchange students are coming to my city to ski for the weekend. We have a ski slope here that is not huge, but substantial. In March, my classmates and I are performing our musikal. In April, I will be traveling twenty-two hours to Kiruna, which is only a few hundred kilometers from the arctic circle to visit the Ice Hotel and see more of Sweden with other exchange students. In May, I will be traveling to the South of France with my choir, and in June into July I will be going on a three week tour of Europe. I know time is going fast. Most days are wonderful, some days are a bit more of a challenge, but overall I am having a fabulous time.
The cheesecake I am making is finished, so I must go.
My new house.
Your house is adorable Martha! It sounds like a wonderful life you're leading in Sweden, and congrats on your language skills! It's always encouraging when classmates or family members compliment your skills (I know the feeling). It would be fun to meet up with you sometime neighbor :)
ReplyDelete