Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ulricehamn

As it gets closer and closer to my departure date, which is between July 28th-30th, I have been thinking more about where I will be living.

I will be living in the region/county of Västra Götaland. This region encompasses 49 municipalities. The region includes the coastal city of Göteborg, which will be an hour from my home. The region is known for trade and industries dealing with technology.
Ulricehamn has a population of around 9,000 people.Ulricehamn is the seat of Ulricehamn Municipality, which encompasses several smaller towns and villages. (The white star on the map shows where Ulricehamn is. It is not to scale!) Ulricehamn has been considered a city since the 1500s. The name Ulricehamn translates to Ulrica Port. This name was given in the 1700s, in honor of Queen Ulrika/Ulrica Eleanora. Prior to this time, it was called Bogesund. Ulricehamn has an industrial center, helping to enrich the economy. Within Ulricehamn there are companies dealing with technology and the production of textiles. I know very little. Ulricehamn and surrounding regions are also popular tourist areas. In the summer and spring, people enjoy trails for biking and hiking. In the winter, downhill and cross country skiing are popular. Ulricehamn is located beside a lake, making for an ideal location. Ulricehamn is not far from the western coast, so it is not difficult to visit Atlantic Ocean/North Sea. This area is south of where Norway meets with Sweden. I am not far from bigger cities and my Rotary district (2360) is based in Göteborg.

The history of Ulricehamn cannot compare to the history of many European cities, but I feel that each small town has a unique story. Similarly, Sweden is not as widely studied compared to many countries. Sweden has chosen not to enter into major modern wars and Sweden is not usually the subject of world news stories. Yet, as I started researching the history, I realized that Sweden has had a large influence on many European countries. Sweden is a technologically advanced society, has a unique and excellent school system, and the standard of living and welfare given are high. I have become more aware that every country has interesting stories to tell, not just the most powerful and well-known countries. My sources of information are limited, but I look forward to adding more details about Ulricehamn and Sweden.

I feel Ulricehamn, Sweden will be a good fit for me. It will be a place where I can be involved and feel comfortable.

Now for some pictures...

Ulricehamn-City Center


Lake Åsunden beside Ulricehamn


 Medieval Mansion- Torpa Stenhus (Torpa Stone house)


 A Lakeside Manor


Ulricehamn Countryside


Hej då,
Martha

1 comment: